Thursday, February 12, 2009

I never saw it.

Growing up in church, teenage girls are told over and over (and over) again:

Song of Solomon 2:7
Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

Song of Solomon 3:5
Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

Song of Solomon 8:4
Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.

I guess it makes sense that it is repeated to us so often as it is repeated often in scripture. But what I never heard or saw, in all those years, is that the verse doesn't apply to just our hearts.

We are told to "guard our hearts" but what about the responsibility we have to guard the hearts of others? Only so much depends on us, I realize, but girls we are fooling ourselves if we say we have no responsibility whatsoever.

Do not awaken love in ourselves or arouse it in others... until it so desires.

Until what so desires? It? Love. God is love. (I John 4:8) Until God so desires?

Oh...

No comments: