Wednesday, December 24, 2008

"my soul felt its worth..."

Downtown on the steps of the Millennium Center I stood, numb hands grasping a small, wax candle. As the pastor spoke and his words rippled through the crowd of my brothers and sisters, as well as the curious onlookers, I contemplated this past year. As I allowed my heart and mind to grow quiet my reflections took me even further back, back to when my heart, like the candle, was formed of cold, hard wax. Unbending. Unbreaking.
And as I reflected I noticed a glow spreading through those gathered together against the biting wind. From one to another it grew, until finally someone turned to me, extending a flame to light the wick I held. My candle ignited and the warm glow quickly spread from my hands to my face to my heart.
And then, just as quickly, a gust of wind extinguished my unprotected flame. My revere was snuffed out as well. There I stood in the midst of a crowd of lit faces, holding a candle the same as theirs but feeling like a fraud. Mine was not lit.
Someone reached out and re-lit my candle. The light once again illumined my face. And as I began to join in to "Silent Night" my soul, once again warmed, heard the precious voice of my Savior, "a wick can always be re-lit."

Merry Christmas. Remember this season His Love and His Grace.

No comments: