Friday, October 31, 2008

What the -?!

I have not cursed as vehemently as I did this morning in a long time. For the sake of my conscience I will edit my remarks here.

This is the most incredible bull- I have ever seen so blatantly upheld. Oh. My. Word. Can people really be blind to this!?!?!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/30/obama.effigy/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

(I just noticed how "CRIME" is in capital letters.)

"Two men have been arrested in connection with an effigy of Sen. Barack Obama that was hung outside a building at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, police said Thursday.

Joe Fischer, left, and Hunter Bush were arrested on disorderly conduct and other charges, police said.

Authorities found a life-size effigy of the Democratic presidential candidate hanging from a tree outside the school's Mines and Minerals building on Wednesday morning, police said.

Police said they arrested Joe Fischer, 22, a senior at the university, and Hunter Bush, 21, a former student at Bluegrass Community and Technical College.

'This was a serious incident. It caused a lot of wounds to be opened from racial tension,' Monroe said."


GRRAH! (That's me screaming through gritted teeth.)

Does no one remember this story????

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-palineffigy28-2008oct28,0,3849487.story

"Los Angeles sheriff's officials say the Halloween display isn't a hate crime. Authorities are keeping an eye on the house to make sure the situation doesn't get out of hand."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/10/sarah-palin-e-1.html

"A California couple who hung a controversial effigy of Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin from a noose off the side of their house have removed the display under pressure from city officials."

There were no arrests in that case!! WHAT THE HECK PEOPLE! If those two men are to be arrested then the other two should as well. The "couple" in California took the effigy down, yes, after a stern talking to. Psh.

I think I'm going to be sick. Normally I can process through the load of manure that comes from the media and society as a whole with relative calm but this... it's too much.

******

After calling the University of Kentucky and speaking with several people, including some in the President's office, I have calmed down some. I recognize that different states have different laws. I'm all for that - more power to the states. But, gah, this is more than that.

Too bad those boys weren't a black California "couple." They'd be on their way to class today.

No comments: