Thursday, October 30, 2008

CDO Confessions.

C.D.O. (O.C.D. in alphabetical order) is no laughing matter... except when it comes to me. I have a confession to make :

Hi, my name is Stephanie. (Hi, Stephanie.) And I have C.D.O.

I readily and gratefully admit to you that it is not as bad as it once was. God's grace has broken many old patterns, habits and strongholds. But much like perfectionism and people-pleasing, anal-ness, to a degree, can never be completely healed - just brought under control. (I happen to be a recovering perfectionist and people-pleaser as well.)

When I was younger, 9-14 years old I'd say, I was a classic case. I counted steps constantly. (1,2,3. 1,2. 1,2,3. 1,2. - no, really.) And it was to a point where if the stairs didn't match the pattern or there weren't enough tiles I would skip steps or purposefully miscount. If I couldn't complete the pattern there was unrest. Likewise, if I was in a new place and the pattern worked perfectly I felt much more at ease.

So this morning as I was getting things together in the kitchen I came face to face with a "tick" that I didn't realize I still have.

As confession is good for the soul I confide to you that (in Stephanie's world) cookies should always be given in multiples of three. (If they are large and it is one serving, one cookie suffices.) Under no circumstance should someone be handed two cookies or a plate of cookies come to a number not divisible by three. (Ie. 4, 8, 11, 14, 20, etc.)

As some of you are rolling your eyes and shaking your heads, let me assure you that I realize most of this is more anal-ness rather than O.C.D. God has saved me from a lot more than I realize on a day to day basis.

So there you have it. *Whew* Glad I got that off my chest.

No comments: