Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Frustration.

Do you remember the old comic strip way of designating anger? That furious, scribbled wad of ink. It looks like a hair ball... or a ball of yarn after ten cats are through with it. I always thought it was a little ridiculous. I never fully understood it.

Until now.

I was going to sit and jot down the thoughts that are clanging around in my head - figure out some way to pin them down, organize them and categorize them and then dispose of them.

No dice.

I held my pen poised over the notepad, breathed deeply, lowered the tip of the pen until it made contact with the paper and then... nothing. It just sat there as the ink began to absorb and create a blot on the fresh clean sheet of paper. The next thing I know I have scribbled a gnarled knotted mess onto the page and have put the pen down. Looking at my attempts to tame the tumbling inner turmoils I realized I had indeed accomplished something.

I finally understand the knotted gnarl's use in expression.

Good to know I can check one thing off the list.

No comments: